PRESS & ACCLAIM
"A glamorous and heartfelt tribute to 80s glitter and self-love, Johnny Darlin is self-expression in its purest form."
"A sultry, glittering mashup of the two places [Johnny] considers most holy: the church and the gay nightclub."
“Beautifully crafted and performed; but also important, moving and sassy - quite a feat!”
– Carole Wears, Co-Founder & Associate Director of the Prague Fringe Festival on Johnny Darlin: In the Closet, Prague Fringe Festival 2017
"BEST BET: Darlin’s pacing is seamless, his music is thoroughly sharp and fantastical, and his story is excellently balanced in all its forms. Before Johnny Darlin, I have not seen another performer so successfully claim queerness as subversive power. Here, queerness is strength and it is beautiful. It’s not a choice to make, but now it is a choice I would make."
- TheatreIsEasy on Johnny Darlin: In the Closet, New York Fringe Festival 2016
“Michael Doshier as Johnny Darlin is raw talent. His music is exhilarating and dance- inducing."
- TheatreInTheNow on Johnny Darlin: In the Closet, New York Fringe Festival 2016
"A riff on Hedwig with a Southern Baptist bent."
- GayCity News on Johnny Darlin: In the Closet, New York Fringe Festival 2016
"The music has a slutty gay disco vibe reminiscent of The Scissor Sisters. Johnny lends his sweaty charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent ... for a sound that is naughty, youthful, and would probably sound a whole lot better at 2am after a few drinks."
-TheatreMania on Johnny Darlin: In the Closet, New York Fringe Festival 2016
"Full of 80s angst; I couldn't help but imagine Molly Ringwald yelling at another Brat pack member for breaking her Pretty In Pink heart."
- 50Thirdand3rd on Hump Daze EP
"Clubby, edgy, and pop-embracive. If you get the chance to see him live, he is quite the showman!"
- Homoground, live review of Johnny Darlin at The Bowery Electric